Notice: This Web site is no longer being updated.
On May 13, 2010, King County Executive Dow Constantine proposed providing cities with 150 beds in the King County Jail until 2020. This move, coupled with current and potential contracts that north/east King County cities have with other jurisdictions for jail beds, enabled Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn to recommend ending the process of siting a new regional municipal jail to house misdemeanor offenders. For more information, please visit the King County Web site: www.kingcounty.gov
Community Input & Outreach
- The North/East Cities are committed to giving residents every opportunity to express their comments and concerns about this project.
- SEPA (State Environmental Policy Act) requires a look at alternatives and includes opportunities for community input. The first round of public meetings on the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was held in January 2009.
Read the EIS Scoping Comments
The draft EIS will be issued during the second quarter of 2010. Another round of meetings will be held during the second quarter of 2010 for comment on the draft EIS.
- NEC representatives are available to attend community meetings to provide information and take questions and comments. To request a representative at a community meeting, please contact The Keller Group at (425) 898-2700. Questions from community meetings are posted below.
- Notes from Dec. 15, 2008, Shoreline-Ballinger meeting
- Notes from March 16, 2009, Unincorporated King County meeting
- Notes from March 24, 2009, Shoreline meeting
- A series of public forums were held in December 2008 at each of the sites which have not already had a forum. Public forums were already held for the Seattle north site (Armory Way) and the Seattle south site (West Marginal Way) in June and July 2008.
- Summary of Feedback Received from Public Forums
- Feedback from Dec. 15, 2008, Public Forum (Bellevue site)
- Feedback from Dec. 11, 2008, Public Forum (Shoreline site)
- Feedback from Dec. 10, 2008, Public Forum (Unincorporated King County site)
- Feedback from Dec. 3, 2008, Public Forum (King County Jail Annex, Seattle)
- Feedback from the June 26, 2008, Public Forum (Seattle south site, West Marginal Way)
- Feedback from the July 26, 2008, Public Forum (Seattle south site, West Marginal Way)
- Feedback from July 30, 2008, Public Forum (Seattle north site, Armory Way)
- The legislative body with jurisdiction over the preferred site will provide opportunities for community input in its review and approval process.
- The NEC group is working closely with the news media to continue getting the word out to the public.
- The NEC has a Web site, www.necmunicipaljail.org, where the group posts information about the project and solicits feedback and questions from residents.
- The NEC group will provide translated materials or interpretation services upon request. To request language services, please contact The Keller Group at (425) 898-2700.